After last weeks post, I re-stalked the Homepolish instagram and noticed that there were a few questions on how I made the garland/wreath piece that was displayed on my fireplace. Although I only snapped a few pictures of the process, I did really like how it turned out and thought I'd elaborate a little more.
When you walk into my apartment, the brick wall is definitely a focal point, so I knew it would be the perfect space for something. Something big. I love a good wreath and my initial idea was to do something along the lines of a wreath. Then when stalking pinterest I saw a picture of a wedding background from style me pretty and immediately knew that would make a great holiday decoration.
I started with:
- a bushel of white pine
- a hot glue gun & hot glue gun sticks
- some wax paper
- white button thread
- sewing needle
- some twine
- hammer and nails
- calligraphy paper
- round candle
- scotch tape
I laid out the branches and made the basic shape I wanted on the floor; with the wax paper underneath to protect the carpet. From there I glued and tied (with the button thread) to secure the shape. I let that lay while I started to make the cones. To make the cones I took the round candle (approximately 4" diameter, I wanted the cones to be a bit bigger than my inspiration) and made circles on the paper. From there I cut the circles out and created a slit in them (to about the middle). Then I folded the one side under the other and taped them closed, like a birthday hat.
Then came the fun (and somewhat tedious part). I hung the white pin garland with the twine and a few nails (hammered into the grout of the fire place). This was definitely a trial and error type project. Initially I had the twine more exposed, but ended up tucking behind some pieces when it became to busy.
Then I took a sewing needle, the button thread, and the cones I created and started the hanging element. I tied a small knot every 3-4 inches and that is how the cones stay in place. Using button thread- which is a bit thicker than regular thread- made the cones look like they were floating down from the garland, like snow. I left enough thread on the top and then just tied each row to the garland. As you can see from my progress images (taken at 1am from my Iphone) I focused on one row at a time and went with the curve of the garland.
One of the biggest learning lessons I got from this project was that tree branches don't last long. For some reason I just didn't think about that. I completed the garland a week before the shoot, which was taking place on a Thursday. By the time Monday came the white pine had dried up. It was still holding its shape, but wasn't as vibrant as I had hoped. So I ventured out and got a bundle of greenery from my local grocer. Then I went crazy with a hot glue gun. This was, again, a very trial and error process, but I actually loved how the different types of greenery looked layered on top of each other. It definitely made it pop in the pictures.
I know that was a very lengthy explanation. I'm so sorry. But if you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment or you are always welcome to contact me (even to just say hi). Enjoy!